Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Moving can be one of those situations that puts a person into depression. It is one of those life stressors. The accompanying changes can leave a person feeling very vulnerable. It was a move in 2007 that plummeted me into the depths of my depression that finally got it diagnosed. This move took me to a new country and cut me off from physical contact with my family of origin. For quite a while I didn't have internet access either. I had 2 young children was expecting my third. My husband was studying and also had several extended trips.

I don't do well with pregnancy anyway and the extra harmones didn't help with the deepening depression. I was home bound by weather and cramping and exhaustion. It was too much to get me and the kids out for more then the necessary shopping. With no car I had to do the shopping at the local supermarket and a double stroller. By time we came home (my snail pace pushing of the stroller) I was further exhausted and had to rest the next day or two to keep the cramping down. As far as my energy was concerned and stress levels of shopping with kids, I would have much rather my husband do the shopping, but then I literally would never go outside (not good for mine or the kids health or sanity) and the shops closed before he was done with classes at school.

Luckily a friend from church helped me with the big shopping once a week. It was the one day I left the kids with Daniel and went out spent a car ride with her and her two girls and went grocery shopping at the stretch your budget store. That blessed us financially, gave me my only weekly out and also some social interaction. In a very large way she was my silver lining to the difficulties I experienced there. But there were more. All of them in answer to prayer. Current and past prayers. Most of them were connected to church. Things people said or did. I could have easily sunk but they were a life line at times, or a little floater that helped me when I couldn't even tread water.

No comments:

Post a Comment