I have often thought of an experience that I had in Jr high. We had to have physical strength test. Boys were tested on the number of pullups. Since very few girls could muster even one, we had what was called the flexed arm hang. We were tested on how long those same muscles could endure holding our chin above a bar as the weight of our own body tried to pull us down. We wanted to make the minimum requirement, but it was even greater if one thought they might have a chance at the class record. I remember our gymn teachers encouraging us on. They knew from experience that our bodies would get tired and it would just get harder. But for those who were determined to make a goal they helpd us as they could. They called out encouragment to each of us as we took our turn. For those who kept holding on past the minimum and the initial this is intense feelings we soon met another challenge. As we continued to hold on our arms started shaking. Now it was a test to see if we could keep our chin up while our arms shook our whole body. Our teachers called out to us, hang on. You can do it. You just have to get past the shakes. If you could hold on through the shaking there would come a point when your body would find a new determination and lock into holding on. And one could hold on surprisingly long.
I don't remember any of my times but I remember those shakes. I don't think I ever really held on long after the shakes. Did I even get past them? I am not sure. But it has been a vivid analogy for me with my struggles in life. Just like I had to take the test every year, the trials are not one time and if I endure to the shakes, they can really test my ability to hang on to my goal. But often in my mind I hear a refrain from my teachers. Hang on. You can do it. You just have to get through the shakes. And I try to keep my chin up. It has helped me many times when I was sure I couldn't endure.
Some time in there I got a little hand out at church. There was a rope glued to an index card. At the end of the rope there not with a bear glued holding on just above the not. The text on the card was, 'when you are at the end of your rope tie a not.' When I saw that I knew instinctively that it still wouldn't be easy to hold on. It would still take work. And it made me think of my gymn teachers words, 'just get past the shakes.'
That is a prayer worth having. Help me to get past the shakes. Don't let the weight of the situation pull me down.
It is a prayer I have now. My current struggles are up and down like many people. I can fluctuate between the highs and the lows. But how do I do when I am struggling? Past patterns and habbits can creep in fast. 'You should be... doing, feeling, being....' self doubt, etc. The cognitive thinking counseling I recieved 4 years ago helps I can remember to call it the 'tyranny of the shoulds' and fight it. But sometimes I find it hard to feel like I can endure. I am not sure if I am at the shakes in those moments or not...all I know is how I feel then so I have to remind myself of the goal and tap into the memory of why trying to hear the call, Hang in there. You can do it. just get past the shakes.
I don't remember any of my times but I remember those shakes. I don't think I ever really held on long after the shakes. Did I even get past them? I am not sure. But it has been a vivid analogy for me with my struggles in life. Just like I had to take the test every year, the trials are not one time and if I endure to the shakes, they can really test my ability to hang on to my goal. But often in my mind I hear a refrain from my teachers. Hang on. You can do it. You just have to get through the shakes. And I try to keep my chin up. It has helped me many times when I was sure I couldn't endure.
Some time in there I got a little hand out at church. There was a rope glued to an index card. At the end of the rope there not with a bear glued holding on just above the not. The text on the card was, 'when you are at the end of your rope tie a not.' When I saw that I knew instinctively that it still wouldn't be easy to hold on. It would still take work. And it made me think of my gymn teachers words, 'just get past the shakes.'
That is a prayer worth having. Help me to get past the shakes. Don't let the weight of the situation pull me down.
It is a prayer I have now. My current struggles are up and down like many people. I can fluctuate between the highs and the lows. But how do I do when I am struggling? Past patterns and habbits can creep in fast. 'You should be... doing, feeling, being....' self doubt, etc. The cognitive thinking counseling I recieved 4 years ago helps I can remember to call it the 'tyranny of the shoulds' and fight it. But sometimes I find it hard to feel like I can endure. I am not sure if I am at the shakes in those moments or not...all I know is how I feel then so I have to remind myself of the goal and tap into the memory of why trying to hear the call, Hang in there. You can do it. just get past the shakes.

No comments:
Post a Comment