Friday, October 16, 2009

My Relief Society President

Right now I have an amazing Relief Society president. Every time I talk with her I feel uplifted and I feel hope. She has so much faith and hope and love! The crazy thing is she is an invalid. That sounds awful in English.... but really she has so many different health issues that plague her life. But she is still happy. Another member in the branch said, I think she would be dead if it wasn't for her positive outlook.
Anyway this president told me that she while she doesn't have a lot of energy, (she often can only stay for one hour of church) and she can't go out on visits to the sisters in our spread-out branch, she can think and pray. She says she is able to pray often while she is often home bound and even resting.

In the bible dictionary it says that work is a form of prayer. I have noted and now am reminded that when we can't do anything else we can pray. Who says it has to even be eloquent. "Any Prayer will do". When I am down with depression my prayer may consist of "elp me hang on." Sometimes the prayer is the thought of my heart crying heavenward, "help me." Other times I pour out my sorrows and frustrations or plead for what I feel will help me. I think that is enough. Especially for someone down in depression. People who aren't there and never have been can look on and say, if you would only do this, then you would feel better. The problem is when you are down with the depression you can't usually get yourself to the point where you do this. Even when it is a simple thing. But the greatest thing I have learned is the Lord recognizes even the shortest prayer, "Help me." He hears it and he is there. In hind sight I can see it much better. I know he was there by my side even when I couldn't feel anything.

We hear so much about prayer and how to do it. I have felt so bad that I couldn't get my self to move to say my night prayers. Not sitting and especially not kneeling by my bed. How could the Lord accept such an 'un-humble' or 'lazy' positioned prayer? At some those times I felt so awful and this only compounded my feelings that all I could pray was, "I am sorry," and "Help me," as he gently eased my body into the needed sleep. He knew my heart and he was answering my prayer even as I was swallowed up in my anguish.

To myself most of all: When you can't do anything else, Pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment