Wednesday, November 12, 2014

What things do you purposefully surround yourself with to help you through the really hard times?

There have been a string of comments on facebook about depression. My sister asked in effect:
What things do you purposefully surround yourself with to help you through the really hard times? This was my facebook post and it belongs here.

 I like to have things that remind me of my family who loves me. I agree with Charlotte that my best help is my husband. But I still have my Daddy blanket that has travelled with me to Nauvoo, Russia, College, Sweden, and now Jordan. I had Jammies from mom, slippers from Mark and latter socks from Celest and a shirt. Those clothes items have all worn out but last time in Utah I brought back my gorilla that Deb and Mark gave me in the mtc. It went to Russia and back and I love to look at the ugly guy and remember the love that came and comes with it. He gets to be on my bed with the bear Daniel gave me to cuddle when he has to go overnight on business. For me I have to have a variety of things at hand that I can do when I slump. Because sometimes it is hard to get myself to do anything. So the more options I have the more likely I am to actually do something that will help me. Like Carol, it is painting, sewing, craft projects. I also have my plants. Or when I am travelling it is a book. I read a lot more when I travel. Probably cause I can't take my sewing machine with me. But I feel better when I have something to show for my time, cause it is easier to avoid the downward negative spiral. And then those things become gifts to people I love. When they go to my family they also sit around my house and bring beauty into the dark times. My counseling in England and the medicine have enabled me to enjoy life and motherhood. To me that is remarkable. I notice the difference. I never want to go back to my negative thought processes or the unfeeling state I had reached. I was either numb or crying. I believe there is meaning in all things but the greatest thing that helps me is to keep fill up spiritually whenever I can pray for help and when I am needing it it is ok if the only prayer I can muster is "help me" For I have past prayers and family and faith that the Lord will help me even when I can't feel or see the help in the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment